Thursday, December 24, 2009

#4 Low Blood Pressure

So today is Christmas Eve. Since early this morning, mom's blood pressure was low. At 9:30 this morning, her blood pressure was so low, that it wouldn't even register. The second time taking it, it registered at 67/47. She passed out two times this morning. Luckily my dad was by her side. The first time she was walking to the bathroom and dad was able to catch her and set her on the toilet. She didn't totally pass out, she opened her eyes almost immediately. The second time she was right by the bed, so dad gave her a little push and she landed in the bed, where again she opened her eyes right away. She stayed in bed all day and was not able to go to the family gathering tonight. When they called the nurse, they told her to drink some fluids and to eat some salt. Since she can't eat pretzels, she just sucked the salt off them. The majority of the day her blood pressure was extremely low. 80/40, but SLOWLY rose. She probably should've gone to the hospital, but she is a stubborn one. "I will NOT go to the hospital on Christmas Eve!!!!" She said she would only go if she passed out and we took her when she passed out. I must say I was terrified all day. I was working so I wasn't around. I did stop by after work, and when I saw her she looked absolutely horrible. She was still in bed, and I took her blood pressure. 87/60, still not that great. I pulled up the skin on her hand and it took about 8 seconds for it to return to normal, which means she was dehydrated. She can't really drink fluids, but I forced her to. She insisted that the family all go ahead and go to the family function, but I didn't like the thought of her being alone. She said to me, I can call you if I don't feel well. I still didn't like this, cause what if she passed out again. So my dad stayed behind, and we were going to rotate someone being there. So I left. An hour later I looked up and saw my dad standing there, and I got nervous. I ended up going home 20 minutes later to check on her. I caught her downstairs letting the dogs out. Her color had returned and she seemed perkier. I took her back upstairs and her blood pressue was substantially higher. 151/57. Since my family is made up of a lot of doctors I was sent back to the party with a question to ask....Could she take a pain pill now, because she wasn't able to take one all day. (she did take one this morning, but she got sick and threw up all her medicines. The doctors told her not to take any until her blood pressure rose. My Uncle said it would be ok, so I called her immediately and told her it was ok. Hopefully her leg would feel a bit better.

Her leg does look much much better. The swelling is down noticably. And the redness has subsided a bit. I think the antibiotics are working, however the doctor prescribed 1 pill 2x a day for 14 days. Her Kidney Nurse today say the skin cancer doctor didnt know, but Renal Patients/dialysis patients can't take antibiotics like that. Way too high. So they told her only to take 1 a day. I hope she is able to get some sleep tonight and will be able to make it to her side of the family's gathering tomorrow for Christmas. If not, I shall stay home with her. At least the whole family is here, including the grandkids. This is the most important Christmas I've ever experienced. I am so happy my brother and his family were able to come. I hate to think this might be her last Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Hello love, I want you to know your mother, you, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm here for you the whole way.

    ReplyDelete